Please note, Mapquest, Google Maps and GPS will all bring you here. The following directions will bring you here, simply and easily!
Directions to the Chambered Nautilus: From I-5
- Take I-5 to the 50th Street Exit (exit 169)
- Heading North on I-5 from the Airport ,you will turn right on 50th Street
- Heading South on I-5 you will turn left on 50th Street
- Follow 50th till it almost ends at 20th Ave. NE. There is a flashing red stoplight at the intersection and you will turn Left on 20th NE.
- Follow 20th to 54th St and turn Right on 54th St. (You are now going downhill).
- At the bottom of the hill turn Right onto 22nd Ave NE.
- We are at 5005 22nd Ave NE. The house is on the right hand side of the road, about 200-300 yards down. Look up, we're on the hillside and there is a sign. The house is a large blue Georgian Colonial.
Directions to the Chambered Nautilus: From SR 520 Westbound
- Follow 520 W to I-5 Northbound and then follow the directions above.
- Take the Montlake Exit off of SR 520
- Merge onto Montlake and go over the bridge at the Montlake Cut and past Husky Stadium on the right
- Get into the left hand lane, just past the stadium and keep going straight, there is a sign that says for 25th Ave NE, it looks like a left turn lane sign but if you stay in the left lane and go straight you will be on 25th Ave NE
- At the light at 55th Street NE (there is a laundromat on the corner) turn left.
- Soon you will be faced with the option to go up a very large hill, or veer to your left.
- VEER to your LEFT. This will put you on 22nd Ave NE
- We are at 5005 22nd Ave NE. The house is on the right hand side of the road, about 200-300 yards down.
- Look up, we're on the hillside and there is a sign. The house is a large blue Georgian Colonial
There are 2 rental car agencies, Enterprise and Budget here in the University District should you want to wait and rent a car after you are all settled in. Enterprise will come to the Inn to get you, Budget is about a 20 minute walk from the Inn.
TRANSPORTATION OPTIONS FROM THE AIRPORT
Via Taxi: From the Baggage Claim area, follow the signs to Ground Transportation and Taxi. There you can pick up the Airport taxis. They will bring you directly to our door at the cost of about $50.00 and the trip will be about 35 minutes. You can also call your own taxi and they will pick you up at the departure area. We like Orange Cab: 206-522-8800.
Via Shuttle or Van Service
We recommend using
Shuttle Express. From the Baggage claim area again follow the signs to Ground Transportation, as you see the taxi area, look behind you and to the right and you will see the Shuttle Express Desk. They will make other stops en route but will also bring you directly to our door. Rates are varied, dependent upon number of passengers. Typically, a reservation for two people directly traveling to our Inn would be about $37.00. You can check rates and reserve by calling them at 425-981-7000 or on line at www.shuttleexpress.com. Advance reservations are recommended. They will pick you up at the Inn for your return trip and sometimes offer a roundtrip discount.
Via Public Transportation ( Light Rail and Bus): This is easy (if you are traveling light), inexpensive, and takes about an hour. The trip involves taking the light rail from the airport to downtown -
to the Westlake Stop at the end of the line. Once downtown you can
either grab a cab to the Inn (as of this writing it will run about $20)
or hop on a bus that will take you within a short walk of the Inn.
Once you have landed, get off the plane and head to baggage claim. Of
course public transport works best if you don't have a lot of luggage,
but head to baggage claim even if you are a carry-on only person. There
you will see signs guiding you to Link Light Rail.
You will go up an escalator, over a sky bridge and into the parking
Keep following the signs and in about a 10 minute walk you will be at
the light rail terminal. You can buy tickets at the kiosk there.
The tickets have a few options. The light rail from the airport
to Downtown will cost you $2.75 per person and you get a paper ticket.
Alas, this will not transfer so the bus from downtown will cost you
another $2.50. Now....If you plan to use public transport while you are
in Seattle (and it is very easy to take the bus from our Inn to most
Seattle attractions) then I would recommend that you buy an ORCA
card at the kiosk instead of a paper ticket. The card will cost you
$5.00 but...you can use it on the light rail and on the bus, and you can
put as much money on the card as you think you will use while you are
in town. With the card the trip from the airport to our Inn will cost
you about $3.25. To help you figure out how much to put on the card....a
trip from our Inn to downtown and back will at most cost you $5.50
total per person at peak time ($ 5.00 non peak). Besides you will look
like a real Seattleite when you get on the bus and just "tap" your ORCA
card to pay!
So now you have your ticket, you can just get on the train. The airport
is the end of the line so all departing trains are headed into town.
Hop on and settle in. You will be on the train for about 35-40 minutes.
Part of the ride is above ground so you can take in the views and sights
right away. As you approach downtown, the train will go into a tunnel.
To come straight here, take the train to the last stop at Westlake. Once
at Westlake you can take the escalator up to street level and grab a
cab or continue on with public transport.
After departing the train, taking the bus is simple. You do not have to
go anywhere at all. You are right at the bus stop for the 71, 72, or 73
bus (buses and trains run in the same tunnel downtown). One of these
buses comes about every 10 minutes but I think the most I have ever
waited is 5 min. You get on anyone of these - the 71, 72, or 73 express
buses - and get off at 45th street and University Way. The bus will stop
just past 45th street. I am always amazed at how quickly the express
buses get you to the University of Washington neighborhood, known as the
U-district, in Seattle.
You tap your ORCA card as you get off, walk back to 45th street and hang
a left. Stay on the left hand side of the street, and keep going until
you reach 22nd Ave NE. Take a left. You will pass the main entrance to
UW at 17th Ave, and Chambered Nautilus is at 5005 22nd Ave NE. There is a
sign out front and, of course, the big blue colonial house does kind of
TRANSPORTATION OPTIONS FROM THE TRAIN STATION
The train station is located at the south end of downtown, about a 15-20 minute drive from the Inn.
Via Taxi: Step outside the station and there are taxi's waiting, or call your own. Orange Cab at 206-522-8800. The fare to the Inn will be about $20-$25.00
Via Bus: You will want to take the north exit of the King Street Station onto South Jackson Street. Walk two blocks eastward to the intersection of South Jackson Street and 5th Avenue South. Cross 5th Ave South, and you will find the bus stop on the right. There, you may take Route(s) 71, 72, or 73 towards the University District. The ride should take approximately 25 minutes. Exit the bus at University Way NE and NE 45th Street. We are just a short walk away; head east on NE 45th Street, towards UW Campus. After six blocks, you will want to take a left onto 22nd Ave NE. We are located at 5005 22nd Ave NE. Bus fare will range from $2.00-$2.25 per person, depending upon peak hours.